One Vietnamese Word A Day: SỐ
SỐ: 1. number; 2. fate, destiny; 3. Số là + S V (Here’s the story: S + V)
- xấu số: unlucky and died prematurely. (adj)
- tốt số: lucky and got to do something considered a great privilege such as being born into a good family or marrying a great spouse. (adj)
- tới số: someone is meant to die as a predetermined fact as if one’s time on Earth is already up according to some book, and the death is inevitable. (adj)
- Vé số: lottery ticket.
- Số khổ: a life predetermined to endure hardships.
- Số hưởng: a life predetermined to enjoy pleasures, comfort, and luxuries.
- Số đào hoa: a life predetermined to be promiscuous.
(S: subject; V: verb)